Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Comma Rules Part V

The finale to my Comma Rules Series.

Rules 17 through 21


Rule 17. Use a comma to separate a statement from a question.

Example: I can go, can't I?

Rule 18. Use a comma to separate contrasting parts of a sentence.

Example: That is my money, not yours.

Rule 19. Use a comma when beginning sentences with introductory words such as well, now, or yes.

Examples:

Yes, I do need that report.
Well, I never thought I'd live to see the day . . .

Rule 20. Use commas surrounding words such as therefore and however when they are used as interrupters.

Examples:

I would, therefore, like a response.
I would be happy, however, to volunteer for the Red Cross.

Rule 21. Use either a comma or a semicolon before introductory words such as namely, that is, i.e., for example, e.g., or for instance when they are followed by a series of items. Use a comma after the introductory word.

Examples:

You may be required to bring many items, e.g., sleeping bags, pans, and warm clothing.
OR
You may be required to bring many items; e.g., sleeping bags, pans, and warm clothing.

NOTE: i.e. means that is; e.g. means for example

See previous rules as follows:

Part IV is here.
Part III is here.
Part II is here.
Part I is here.

Colleen Degnan Johnson
CMJ Office
Fantasy Face Painting

No comments:

Post a Comment