Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rhode Island Remembered

I'm originally from Rhode Island. I thought it would be fun to post some memories from my childhood growing up in the smallest state in the union. I'm thinking of writing about a few of these in more detail for later posts. Here are my upcoming subjects:

Del's Lemonade (only the very best)
Coffee flavored anything (Autocrat coffee syrup - milk, shakes, ice cream, etc.)
1976 Parade of Tall Ships up Narragansett Bay
Newport Mansions (even Jackie and John Kennedy got married over in Newport)
Rocky Point Park (closed now - what a crime)
Roger Williams Park (I remember when the fireworks went off there)
Gaspee Days and the Gaspee Parade
The Outlet Company in Downtown Providence (I remember watching it burn down-sad)
Crescent Park and the Carousel
Rocky Point Clam Cakes (the best)
Thayer Street and Brown University
The Blizzard of 1978 (from a kids perspective-it was awesome)
Hurricane Gloria

My mom remembers skating on the ponds at Roger Williams Park. I don't remember ever seeing them freeze over thick enough for such activity. After starting to write this, I made a phone call to my parents. It lasted longer than I had thought it would and now have plenty of material to also write about their childhood memories growing up in Rhode Island. I'm soooo excited.

My grandmother danced on the front lawn of her east side residence during the Hurricane of 1938. It flooded Providence. They had no idea of the severity of it. She just said that she had never seen the wind blow that hard before. I bet she hadn't coming from Ireland.

Stay tuned for more .......

Colleen Degnan Johnson
CMJ Office

2 comments:

  1. Colleen, I'm going to have fun reading your stories about Rhode Island. My sister-in-law was born in Central Falls in 1950. Now I can learn more about what her "homeland" was like! I'll be watching! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you're looking forward to the stories. I'm actually excited about doing them.

    ReplyDelete