Friday, December 5, 2008

Photo Friday With A Discovery


Thanks to DearMyrtle for the following ancestor discovery.

I've been searching for my grandmother's step-sisters for years off and on. Well, thanks to Myrtle's blog post the other day, I found out that Illinois marriage records for 1900 to 1920 were online now over at FamilySearch. I hopped on over.

I plugged the surname Bench and hit search. My great grandfather's marriage record came up first. I already had that record from St. Elizabeth's in Chicago. The second Bench listed was Dorothy Bench. Holy cow Batman! It was grandma's step-sister. Well, it was one of them at least.

I was so excited. I grabbed it and started researching the family. I discovered that she remained in Chicago while her brother and father moved to Cambridge, MA. Why? I'm not sure that I'll ever know that one. So, she married William Cherney and settled into family life in Chicago. As of 1930, she had four children: Margaret, Lorraine, William and Jeannine. I uncovered her death certificate from Washington State. So, at some point, they must have moved over there.

It's been enlightening. I can't wait to research the children. I'm not sure when I'll have time but it's been fun finding her.

Colleen

CMJ Office is a certified and licensed virtual administrative business supporting business owners, bloggers, genealogy and history authors, speakers and researchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment